South End’s newest apartment complex, The Smith, awarded LEED Silver
BOSTON — The Smith, located between the historic streets of Harrison and Albany at 89 East Dedham Street in Boston, and designed by CBT architects announced their receipt of both LEED Silver and Fitwel 2-star rating certifications.
“During a year when issues like work-from-home environments, individual health, outdoor activities and eco-friendly measures are foremost in our minds, we are honored to be among the buildings that offer safe, healthy and luxurious amenities for our residents,” said Sam Reiche, Vice President and Partner at Leggat McCall Properties.
The Smith received a LEED Silver designation based on the following sustainability
achievements, among others:
● 35% offset of fossil fuel consumption through Renewable Energy Certificates, through a
mixture of wind, solar, biomass and geothermal renewable power
● 40% potable water use reduction through low flow plumbing fixtures
● Bicycle facilities and EV fueling stations on site to promote alternative/carbon free
● Recycled nearly 90% of construction waste
The Smith joins buildings, sites, and communities from around the world as part of Fitwel
Certification System, the world’s leading certification system committed to building health for all.
The Smith is the first multi-family project to achieve Multi-Family Residential v2.1 certification
which achievements include:
● Positive impacts on mental, social health and social equality with access to a common
outdoor courtyard, proximity to outdoor restorative garden, parks, fitness areas and
transparency of health features
● Well-being through enhanced indoor air quality strategies, occupant comfort surveys for
continual feedback, access to daylight and views to nature
● Increased potential of physical activity through walkability (Walk score of 96), access to
pedestrian walking routes, bicycle paths, safe street infrastructure, numerous public
transit options (Transit Score of 83) and an internal stairwell
● Access to healthy nutritional options through grocery stores, farmers market, and
restaurants within a 1/2-mile radius
● Promotion of occupant safety through emergency preparedness procedures and plans.
The Smith is composed of 300 apartments designed to accommodate singles, couples and
families including studio, one, two- and three-bedroom apartments ranging from 484-1,328 SF with pricing starting at $2,231. The apartments feature unique design elements such as
movable kitchen islands, state-of-the-art stainless-steel appliances, walk-in closets and glass showers, ample cabinet storage space, industrial floor-to-ceiling windows allowing for an ample amount of natural light and more. Select apartment homes are now available for 2 ½ months rent free.